Careers with BVA
The Development Specialist’s primary responsibilities include the overall management of data operations for the Blinded Veterans Association. This individual will be responsible for overseeing and managing the data infrastructure needed to support various fundraising strategies, projects, and activities. The Development Specialist must be able to work independently while also working as a member of the BVA team. The Development Specialist will be an individual with a rich background specific in data management, reporting, and research, with experience in philanthropic development with a strong track record of successful management. The ideal candidate cares deeply about the development profession and has worked in the non-profit human services arena. The Development Specialist receipts and acknowledges gifts, assists with gift programs, manages donor records, updates data, pulls reports and lists for mailing, and provides background data and support for fundraising personnel on the development team (i.e. Executive Director and Development Director).
The individual in this role will also manage online event and donor software and tools, multiple direct mail/email projects, data cleansing and manipulation, statistical reporting and analysis, mailing list management, and donor/prospect research and relationship management. Analyzes and assesses information from multiple resources to assist in development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs duties as assigned by the Director of Development, including but not limited to the following:
a. Acts as the point of contact and coordinates development printed products, including as they relate to their production and distribution.
b. Author, proofread, and edit documents and/or publications for development as directed.
c. Supports web & social media communications with fundraising content.
2. Headquarters Donation Processing:
a. Receives and processes phoned-in donations by credit card processing.
b. Maintains BVA’s online giving system for web-based gifts.
c. Reviews and bundles all donations and giving correspondence received at Headquarters and transmits them on a regular and secure basis to the donation processing contractor.
3. Donor Relations:
a. Receives and tracks all donor phone calls and positively addresses any donor concerns while reporting donor concerns to Development Director and Executive Director
b. Annotated donor files in CRM.
c. Authors and ensures timely fulfillment of donor acknowledgement requests gifts.
a. Supports grants writer for source identification and documentation.
b. Supports research, preparation, and completion of grant applications.
5. Managing the Salesforce Database:
a. Maintain the donor database as needed, including entering information, combining and deleting duplicate entries, correcting mistakes in addresses or names, flagging un-responsive mailings, etc.
b. Develop written operational procedures and processes.
c. Creates groups (queries) for the Executive Director and development staff members to use, such as, Board lists, Corporate Donors, direct mail appeals, foundation pipeline, etc.
d. Creates and distributes reports and analysis as needed to the Executive Director and Director of development, including weekly/monthly gift reports and other reports and information related to donor cultivation and stewardship
e. Participate in BVA’s website and e-commerce projects and similar cross-departmental initiatives.
6. State Fundraising Registrations:
a. Provide support to contractor in fulfilling each State’s requirements to conduct fundraising
7. Online Donor Maintenance
a. Works with the Development Director in the creation of online campaigns.
b. Correspond with online donors as needed, including sending acknowledgement letters and emails, helping donors with technical issues, and responding to donor queries.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree with focus on business practices/administration, computer science or information systems strongly preferred
2. Proficiency in the use of “cloud-based” data systems, including familiarity with the processes for data storage, upload, retrieval, back-up and security required
3. Proficiency in complex database management required
4. Knowledge of database management, maintenance and monitoring functions, including proper functionality, backup/recovery, rebuilding/reorganizing indexes, checks on performance and capacity required
5. Minimum of three (3) years of experience implementing complex data import, export and query functions using Salesforce or similar products
6. Minimum one (1) year experience in using Salesforce strongly preferred
7. Familiarity with fundraising terminology and practices
8. Two years internship or related professional experience.
9. Be a member of the Blinded Veterans Association (preferred)
10. Be a Veteran or Dependent of a Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 70% or higher (preferred).
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Ability to work independently with little supervision
2. Strong contributor in team environments
3. Must be able to multi-task, work in a fast-paced office and work with multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy
4. Ability to problem-solve, think critically, and maintain composure in high pressure situations
5. Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
6. Ability to take initiative and ownership for the completion of work product
7. Database management experience – Salesforce preferred
8. Knowledge of the underlying principles of how the database supports the fundraising goals and efforts are critical.
9. Effective and accurate data analysis and interpretation skills
10. Understanding of development protocols, processes, practices and procedures is required.
11. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
12. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
13. Precise attention to detail
14. High level of customer service skills
Job Type: Full-time
- Data Management: 1 year (Required)
- Salesforce or similar product: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
Please apply for this position through Indeed.
Chief of Public Relations
The Blinded Veterans Association’s (BVA) Chief of Public Relations develops and implements the Association’s internal and external public relations efforts by building and maintaining a positive image for BVA. The Chief of Public Relations communicates with the National Headquarters staff, the National Board of Directors, Regional Group officers and members, various media sources, government agencies, Veterans Service Organizations, consumer groups, vendors, and the general public for the purpose of assisting America’s blinded veterans and enhancing the mission and reputation of the Blinded Veterans Association.
- Coordinates and monitors various media sources and outlets on activities, news events and activities of key interest to blinded veterans.
- Responsible for representing the interests of BVA and communicating between BVA and other internal and external organizations.
- Coordinating with the Directors of Government Relations and Development to align BVA messaging on policy, services, advocacy and fundraising for all communication platforms.
- Supervising a small team of employees; and drafting and editing articles and updates for a variety of media, including the BVA Bulletin and monthly newsletter.
- Partner with Director of Government Relations to manage engagements on Capitol Hill or at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of public relations campaign planning and coordination.
- Knowledge of the strategic use of social media as a messaging and marketing tool for organizations.
- Experience producing and supervising the production of audio and video recordings and photographs suitable for publication electronically and in print.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications.
- Knowledge of the Worldwide Web Consortium Accessibility Guidelines for website accessibility.
- Knowledge of blindness and related organizations, including consumer organizations and federal, state, and local agencies.
- Ability to successfully manage and prioritize multiple tasks with varying deadlines.
- Excellent management, decision-making, and leadership skills.
- Intermediate or higher skills in Microsoft Office, adaptive technology software, and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree or five years related work experience in advocacy for Veterans or the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, public affairs, or another closely related field.
- Five years of work experience in the aforementioned fields may be substituted for the educational requirement.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Member of the Blinded Veterans Association
- Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 70% or higher.
- Dependent of currently serving service member or Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 70% or higher.
The position of Chief of Public Relations is located in the BVA National Office. Local and national travel may be required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Public Relations: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Please apply for this position through Indeed .