Careers with BVA
Government Relations Assistant
The Blinded Veterans Association seeks a motivated, self-starter with a passion for serving and advocating for and with the tens of thousands of Blinded Veterans in the United States.
TITLE OF POSITION: Government Relations Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Government Relations
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Non-Exempt – Can earn overtime
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conduct research on policy and legislative developments of concern to BVA and its members and report noteworthy information to supervisors.
2. Assist with the preparation, proofreading and submission of correspondence, articles, reports and position papers as needed.
3. Coordinate appointments and attend meetings with government officials, veteran service organizations and military organizations of various agencies and levels.
4. Certify as a Veteran Service Officer in order to inform and counsel blinded veterans of their benefits and entitlements.
5. Participate in meetings, trainings, and consultations related to the goals and objectives of Veterans Services and BVA’s public policy agenda.
6. Conduct outreach utilizing all forms of communications, including Public Service Announcements (PSA), as needed.
7. Represent Blinded Veterans Association at public events as required.
8. Maintain appropriate records and reports.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Skills and experience required
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to work on multiple tasks and track numerous events and deadlines simultaneously, adaptability to change, capability to conduct research on a wide range of topics, and excellent people skills. The Government Relations Assistant must possess skills at an intermediate level in MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook. The Government Relations Assistant must also have the subject matter expertise necessary to implement and maintain a database, and research skills in compiling, analyzing, and reporting results utilizing the internet and other available resources.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Be a Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 70% or higher
2. Bachelor’s degree in social science, political science, blind rehabilitation or related field.
3. 2-3 years work experience in a similar field.
4. Knowledgeable of issues concerning blinded veterans
5. Experienced guiding and assisting the blind and visually impaired.
This job description does not list all duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time for any reason.
Job Type: Full-time
Relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
Please Apply for this Position Here
The Development Specialist’s primary responsibilities include the overall management of data operations for the Blinded Veterans Association. This individual will be responsible for overseeing and managing the data infrastructure needed to support various fundraising strategies, projects, and activities. The Development Specialist must be able to work independently while also working as a member of the BVA team. The Development Specialist will be an individual with a rich background specific in data management, reporting, and research, with experience in philanthropic development with a strong track record of successful management. The ideal candidate cares deeply about the development profession and has worked in the non-profit human services arena. The Development Specialist receipts and acknowledges gifts, assists with gift programs, manages donor records, updates data, pulls reports and lists for mailing, and provides background data and support for fundraising personnel on the development team (i.e. Executive Director and Development Director).
The individual in this role will also manage online event and donor software and tools, multiple direct mail/email projects, data cleansing and manipulation, statistical reporting and analysis, mailing list management, and donor/prospect research and relationship management. Analyzes and assesses information from multiple resources to assist in development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs duties as assigned by the Director of Development, including but not limited to the following:
a. Acts as the point of contact and coordinates development printed products, including as they relate to their production and distribution.
b. Author, proofread, and edit documents and/or publications for development as directed.
c. Supports web & social media communications with fundraising content.
2. Headquarters Donation Processing:
a. Receives and processes phoned-in donations by credit card processing.
b. Maintains BVA’s online giving system for web-based gifts.
c. Reviews and bundles all donations and giving correspondence received at Headquarters and transmits them on a regular and secure basis to the donation processing contractor.
3. Donor Relations:
a. Receives and tracks all donor phone calls and positively addresses any donor concerns while reporting donor concerns to Development Director and Executive Director
b. Annotated donor files in CRM.
c. Authors and ensures timely fulfillment of donor acknowledgement requests gifts.
a. Supports grants writer for source identification and documentation.
b. Supports research, preparation, and completion of grant applications.
5. Managing the Salesforce Database:
a. Maintain the donor database as needed, including entering information, combining and deleting duplicate entries, correcting mistakes in addresses or names, flagging un-responsive mailings, etc.
b. Develop written operational procedures and processes.
c. Creates groups (queries) for the Executive Director and development staff members to use, such as, Board lists, Corporate Donors, direct mail appeals, foundation pipeline, etc.
d. Creates and distributes reports and analysis as needed to the Executive Director and Director of development, including weekly/monthly gift reports and other reports and information related to donor cultivation and stewardship
e. Participate in BVA’s website and e-commerce projects and similar cross-departmental initiatives.
6. State Fundraising Registrations:
a. Provide support to contractor in fulfilling each State’s requirements to conduct fundraising
7. Online Donor Maintenance
a. Works with the Development Director in the creation of online campaigns.
b. Correspond with online donors as needed, including sending acknowledgement letters and emails, helping donors with technical issues, and responding to donor queries.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree with focus on business practices/administration, computer science or information systems strongly preferred
2. Proficiency in the use of “cloud-based” data systems, including familiarity with the processes for data storage, upload, retrieval, back-up and security required
3. Proficiency in complex database management required
4. Knowledge of database management, maintenance and monitoring functions, including proper functionality, backup/recovery, rebuilding/reorganizing indexes, checks on performance and capacity required
5. Minimum of three (3) years of experience implementing complex data import, export and query functions using Salesforce or similar products
6. Minimum one (1) year experience in using Salesforce strongly preferred
7. Familiarity with fundraising terminology and practices
8. Two years internship or related professional experience.
9. Be a member of the Blinded Veterans Association (preferred)
10. Be a Veteran or Dependent of a Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 70% or higher (preferred).
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Ability to work independently with little supervision
2. Strong contributor in team environments
3. Must be able to multi-task, work in a fast-paced office and work with multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy
4. Ability to problem-solve, think critically, and maintain composure in high pressure situations
5. Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
6. Ability to take initiative and ownership for the completion of work product
7. Database management experience – Salesforce preferred
8. Knowledge of the underlying principles of how the database supports the fundraising goals and efforts are critical.
9. Effective and accurate data analysis and interpretation skills
10. Understanding of development protocols, processes, practices and procedures is required.
11. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
12. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
13. Precise attention to detail
14. High level of customer service skills
Job Type: Full-time
- Data Management: 1 year (Required)
- Salesforce or similar product: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
Please apply for this position through Indeed.