The Blinded Veterans Association is seeking applicants for the position of Executive Director at its National Headquarters in Washington, DC.
The Executive Director, who must be a blinded veteran and a member of the Association (Article VIII, Section 1 of the BVA National Bylaws), is the Chief Executive Officer of the organization. The position is responsible for the overall functioning and performance of the BVA staff; the carrying out of directives, instructions, and policies legally adopted by the National Board of Directors and/or by Association members in convention, and ensuring compliance with the laws and regulations to which BVA is subject.
Candidates must possess the following:
• At least a Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
• A minimum of three years experience in administration/management and supervision, preferably with experience gained from working in either a Veterans Service Organization or nonprofit association.
• Experience with organizing and conducting Board meetings and associating with Board members
• Knowledge of financial accounting practices, budget preparation, and understanding and interpreting financial statements
• Fundraising experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, decision making, and interpersonal skills
• Attendance and successful completion of a training program at a VA Blind Rehabilitation Center
• Proficiency in the use of tools and materials unique to the blind and visually impaired (Braille, screen reader technology, magnification devices, etc.)
• Computer literate and proficient with computers and office software
• Mobility proficiency
• Experience in Government Relations preferred
• Experience in planning and conducting conventions preferred
Applications/resumes directed to the attention of the Executive Director are due at BVA National Headquarters no later than February 29, 2012. The successful applicant must be based in Washington, DC. BVA will assist with relocation expenses. The position also requires travel as a BVA representative to other conventions, meetings of other Veterans Service Organizations, and to events of other organizations of and for the blind. Upon receipt of the resume at BVA, an employment application, a request for DD214, and other information will be mailed to the applicant.
Send the resume by postal mail or email to:
Blinded Veterans Association
Attention: Mr. Thomas H. Miller
477 H Street NW
Washington DC 20001