Blinded Veterans Association BVA Seeks National Field Service Officer
The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) is an organization of blinded veterans helping blinded veterans. Through our service programs, regional groups, resources, and advocacy before the legislative and executive branches of government, we hope to make life better for blinded veterans.
BVA is currently has an immediate opening for a full-time, National Field Service Officer (NFSO) located at the Field Service Program Resource Center in Alexandria, Virginia.
Acting under the general supervision of the National Director, Field Service Program, the NFSO is responsible to:
- Complete NVLSP's Basic Training Course within Two weeks of hire.
- Provide assistance to blind and visually impaired veterans in the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for VA benefits
- Inform veterans of available federal, state, and local benefits and programs.
- Conduct Outreach as needed. (Travel required)
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field such as counseling, blind rehabilitation, or social work is preferred. Education may be substituted with additional training or work in a closely related field that includes Veterans Benefits.
- Knowledge of the Veterans Affairs health care structure, benefits from VA for blinded veterans, and federal, state and local resources that serve blinded veterans and the visually impaired population.
- A working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. This includes correspondence and report writing capabilities. The NFSO must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and proficiency in mobility.
- Must be able to articulate the needs of blinded veterans to a variety of entities; work independently; advise blinded veterans and their families on the benefits and rights to which they are entitled through the VA; work effectively with the public and all other BVA staff; represent BVA in public meetings; compile reports for the National Director, FSP; and utilize all available resources in obtaining benefits for blinded veterans.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (non-disabled), 10pt (service connected disability) 20pt (Legally Blind Veteran). You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.) and a Department of Veterans Disability letter if applicable. If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation.
Job Type: (1) Full-time position working 37.5 hours/week.
BVA and Federal Government background check will be performed.
To be considered for this position, please submit resume and cover letter by email to:
BVA Field Service Resource Center
Attention: Mr. Edward Eckroth
National Director, Field Service Program
125 N. West Street, 3rd Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314
The Blinded Veterans Association Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.