CHAPTER IV - ELECTION OF DELEGATE TO THE BVA NATIONAL CONVENTION
Section 1. Notifying Regional Group Members of Meeting
A. In accordance with the provisions of Section 12 of Article XIV (Regional Groups) of the BVA National By-laws, each regional group shall be entitled to elect a delegate from among its members to the National Convention.
B. It should be noted that, in accordance with Section 4 of Article III (Qualifications for Membership, Associate Membership and Honorary Membership) of the BVA National Bylaws, Associate Members shall have all the rights, privileges and responsibilities of Members. They may vote on National issues and hold and vote for National office and for the position of District Director. They may serve as a delegate or alternate from the regional group to the National Convention, and may vote for, and instruct, said delegate(s). They shall be eligible to hold any office in their regional group.
C. All regional groups must inform their Members and Associate Members of the date of the regional group meeting at which time balloting will take place for the purpose of electing their delegate(s) to the National Convention.
1. The meeting notice must be sent out no later than forty (40) days prior to the National Convention, nor no later than ten (10) days prior to the regional group meeting.
2. A copy of the notice of the meeting to elect and instruct delegates must be sent to BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director) at the same time it is mailed to the Members and Associate Members.
Section 2. Instructing Regional Group Delegate
A. Section 12a of Article XIV (Regional Groups) of the BVA National Bylaws also provides that at the meeting to elect the delegate(s) to represent the Regional Group at the National Convention, such delegate(s) will be instructed as to voting for or against any given subject or subjects, or for or against any particular candidate or candidates for office.
B. Instructions to the delegate must be in writing, signed by the regional group President, and authenticated by the regional group Secretary. This is done on the Official BVA Credentials Form which is discussed in Section 3 below.
Section 3. Submitting Regional Group Credentials
A. Section 12c of Article XIV (Regional Groups) of the BVA National Bylaws requires that credential forms certifying the election of the regional group delegate, and instructions to him/her shall be written in triplicate and signed by the regional group President and authenticated by the regional group secretary.
1. Such credentials forms are usually mailed out to the regional groups in April of each year to facilitate those regional groups which hold an early meeting to elect and instruct their delegate to the National Convention.
2. These forms are sent out in triplicate, with one set sent to each regional group officer (President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer (or Secretary/Treasurer). The Credentials Forms are printed on different colored paper each year for ease of identification.
B. The BVA National Headquarters is responsible for producing and distributing the Official BVA Credentials Forms to be used for the BVA National Convention to the regional group in a timely manner.
1. One copy of such credentials and instructions is required to be delivered to the delegate by the Regional Group.
2. One copy of such credentials and instructions is required to be forwarded to the BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director) no later than twenty-one days (21) days prior to the National Convention.
3. One copy of such credentials and instructions is required to be retained in the Regional Group files.
Section 4. Responsibilities of the Delegate
A. Section 12d of Article XIV (Regional Groups) of the BVA National Bylaws also requires that when a Regional Group delegate to the BVA National Convention has been instructed, the delegate must vote in accordance with his/her instructions.
B. If the delegate refuses to do so, then the National Secretary will be required to cast a ballot for the recalcitrant delegate in the name of the regional group issuing such instructions.