Administrative Reminders for BVA DC Gathering
by Brigitte Jones
Pursuant to the provisions of Section 3b of Article IX (National Convention) of the BVA National Bylaws, all members of the Blinded Veterans Association in good standing are hereby notified that the BVA 65th National Convention will be held at the Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel, 1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202, from Tuesday, August 24, through Saturday, August 28, 2010. Periodic updates regarding the convention will be posted regularly to the Convention page on the BVA website.
BVA members in good standing who wish to vote by proxy may request a form by writing to or telephoning the Administrative Director at BVA National Headquarters no later than 45 days before the opening day of the 65th National Convention. Because the convention’s opening day is August 24, the deadline for requesting a proxy form is July 10, 2010.
In compliance with Section 2c of Article IX, the proxy form must be completed and returned to BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director). To be considered valid, the envelope containing the form must be postmarked no later than 21 days before the opening date of the convention. The due date is therefore August 3, 2010.
Significant Dates and Deadlines
1. May 17 (no earlier than 100 days before convention, in this case 99 because May 16 is a Sunday)--Earliest date to mail pre-registration package and official convention notice to potential attendees.
2. May 26 (no earlier than 90 days before convention)--Earliest date to distribute ballots for Districts 3 and 4 elections to district members.
3. May 26 (no later than 90 days before convention)--Envelopes containing proposed bylaw amendments must be directed to national headquarters and postmarked.
4. May 26 (no earlier than 90 days before convention)--Earliest date to mail proposed bylaw amendments to members in good standing.
5. May 26 (90 days before convention and 60 days following original mail call referred to above)--Nominations for regular elections of Directors of Districts 3 and 4 due at national headquarters.
6. June 10 (no later than 75 days before convention)--Latest date to mail pre-registration package and official convention notice from national headquarters.
7. June 15 (no later than 70 days before convention)--Latest date for national headquarters to mail ballots for regular elections of Directors of Districts 3 and 4.
8. June 15*--National headquarters mails annual financial report forms (three copies) to treasurers of regional groups.
9. July 10 (no later than 45 days before convention)--Ballots for regular elections for Directors of Districts 3 and 4 must be postmarked no later than midnight.
10. July 10 (no later than 45 days before convention)--Latest date to mail proposed bylaw amendments to members in good standing.
11. July 15 (no later than 40 days before convention)--Regional group meeting notices to elect convention delegates must be mailed to group members. A copy of the notice must also be mailed to national headquarters at the same time it is mailed to the group membership.
12. July 20 (35 days before convention)--National headquarters counts election ballots for regular election of Directors of Districts 3 and 4.
13. August 3 (21 days before convention)--Completed delegate credentials forms and proxy forms must be postmarked no later than midnight.
Requirements for Good Standing
Article XIV of the BVA National Bylaws outlines the criteria by which regional groups are deemed in good standing for national conventions. Groups must accordingly accomplish the following:
1. Meet at least once during the BVA fiscal year July 1-June 30 and submit a copy of the minutes to national headquarters within 60 days of such meetings (Section 13a).
2. Submit an annual financial statement to the Administrative Director on forms provided for that purpose no later than September 30 (three months following the end of Fiscal Year 2010).
Regional group officers should review the status of their groups to ensure that the above requirements have been met. Doing so will ensure that all BVA delegations are appropriately seated at the convention.
Delegates, Alternates, Credentials Forms
Article XIV of the BVA National Bylaws specifies that all regional groups intending to send a delegate to Washington, DC, must also hold a meeting to elect and instruct the individual.
Groups must inform all of their members in good standing, in writing, of the date, time, location, and purpose of the meeting, which must be held no later than July 15, 2010. Notice of the meeting must be distributed to the regional group members no less than 10 days before convening.
A copy of the notice must be forwarded to BVA National Headquarters at the same time the notice is distributed to the members. Failure to do so will render the group’s delegation unable to receive seating at the convention.
A set of official BVA credentials forms was mailed in triplicate on yellow paper to all regional group officers on April 12. The credentials must also be completed in triplicate, which includes a signature and a dating of the signature by both the regional group president and regional group secretary. One copy should be provided to the elected delegate. A second copy must be mailed to BVA National Headquarters and postmarked no later than August 3, 2010. A third copy should be placed in the regional group files.
Regional groups must also elect alternate delegates to the national convention at the same meeting. In addition, each regional group to be represented should elect a representative to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee. The representative’s name should be placed in the appropriate blank at the bottom of the second page of the credentials form.