Vital Reminders for 62nd Meeting
by Brigitte Jones
Pursuant to the provisions of Section 3b of Article IX (National Convention) of the BVA National Bylaws, all members of the Blinded Veterans Association in good standing are hereby notified that the BVA 62nd National Convention will be held at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque Hotel, 330 Tijeras NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102, from Tuesday, August 14, through Saturday, August 18, 2007.
Periodic updates regarding the gathering will continue to be posted on the Convention page on the BVA website.
BVA members in good standing who wish to vote by proxy may request a form by writing or calling the Administrative Director at BVA National Headquarters no later than 45 days before the opening day of the 62nd National Convention. Because the convention’s opening day is August 14, the deadline for requesting a proxy form is June 30, 2007.
In compliance with Section 2c of Article IX, the proxy form must be completed and returned to BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director). To be considered valid, the envelope containing the form must be postmarked no later than 21 days before the opening date of the convention. The due date is therefore July 24, 2007.
- May 31 (no later than 75 days before convention) -- Latest date to mail pre-registration package and official convention notice from national headquarters.
- June 5 (no later than 70 days before convention) -- Latest date for national headquarters to mail ballots for regular elections of Directors of Districts 3 and 4.
- June 15 -- National headquarters mails annual financial report forms (three copies) to treasurers of regional groups.
- June 30 -- Ballots for regular elections of Directors of Districts 3 and 4 must be postmarked no later than midnight.
- June 30 (no later than 45 days before convention) -- Latest date to mail proposed bylaw amendments to members in good standing.
- July 5 (no later than 40 days before convention) -- Regional group meeting notices to elect convention delegates must be mailed to group members. A copy of the notice must also be mailed to national headquarters at the same time it is mailed to the membership.
- July 10 (35 days before convention) -- National headquarters counts election ballots for regular election of Director of Districts 3 and 4.
- July 24 (21 days before convention) -- Completed delegate credentials forms and proxy forms must be postmarked no later than midnight.
Good Standing Requirements
Article XIV of the BVA National Bylaws outlines the criteria by which regional groups are deemed in good standing for national conventions. Groups must accordingly accomplish the following:
1. Meet at least once during the BVA fiscal year July 1-June 30 and submit a copy of the minutes to national headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director) within 60 days of such meetings (Section 13a).
2. Submit an annual financial statement to the Administrative Director on forms provided for that purpose no later than September 30 (three months following the end of Fiscal Year 2006).
Regional group officers should review the status of their groups to ensure that the above requirements have been met. Doing so will ensure that all BVA delegations will be appropriately seated at the BVA 62nd National Convention.
Delegates, Alternates, Credentials Forms
Article XIV of the BVA National Bylaws specifies that all regional groups intending to send a delegate to New Mexico must also hold a meeting to elect and instruct the individual.
Groups must inform all of their members in good standing, in writing, of the date, time, location, ad purpose of the meeting, which must be held no later than July 5, 2007. Notice of the meeting must be distributed to the regional group members no less than 10 days before it is to be held.
A copy of the notice must be forwarded to BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director) at the same time the notice is distributed to the members. Failure to do so will render the group’s delegation unable to receive seating at the convention.
A set of official BVA credentials forms, mailed in triplicate on pink paper to all regional group officers on April 4, must also be completed in triplicate, dated correctly, signed by the regional group president, and authenticated by the regional group secretary. One copy should be provided to the elected delegate. A second copy must be mailed to BVA National Headquarters (Attn: Administrative Director) and postmarked no later than 21 days before the opening of the national convention (July 24, 2007). A third copy should be placed in the regional group files.
Regional groups must also elect specific alternate delegates to the national convention at the same meeting. It is a violation of the BVA National Bylaws to designate “any other members attending the national convention,” or words to that effect, in the space provided for the alternate delegate on the official credentials form.
Each regional group to be represented at the national convention should elect a representative to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee. The representative’s name should be placed in the appropriate blank at the bottom of the second page of the credentials form.
Previous Section/62nd Convention Schedule of Events
Next Section/Around BVA