For Immediate release:
Job posted on June 28, 2018
The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) is an organization of blinded veterans helping blinded veterans. Through our service programs, regional groups, resources, and advocacy before the legislative and executive branches of government, we hope to make life better for blinded veterans.
BVA is currently has an immediate opening for a full time, National Veterans Service Officer (NVSO) located at the FSP Resource Center in Alexandria, VA. Resume and cover letter must be received by July 15, 2018.
Acting under the general supervision of the Interim Director, Field Service Operations Program, the (NVSO) is responsible for:
- Providing assistance to blind and visually impaired veterans.
- Informing veterans of available federal, state, and local benefits and programs.
- Acting as a role model for the benefits of blind rehab training for blinded veterans and assisting family members in realizing ways to cope with loss of sight and the value of rehabilitation.
- Completing of NVLSP’s Basic Training Course within two weeks of hire.
- An Associate Degree in a related field such as counseling, blind rehabilitation or social work is preferred. Education may be substituted with additional training or work in a closely related field including Veterans Benefits.
- Knowledge of the Veterans Affairs healthcare structure, benefits from the VA for blinded veterans and federal, state and local resources that serve blinded veterans and the visually impaired population.
- A working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- The ability to articulate the needs of blinded veterans to a variety of people; work independently; advise blinded veterans and their families on the benefits and rights they are entitled to through the VA; work effectively with the public and all other BVA staff; represent the BVA in public meetings; compile reports for the National Director, FSP and to utilize all available resources in obtaining benefits for blinded veterans.
- Be a Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 30% or higher or be a dependent of a Veteran of U.S. Military Service with a discharge, time-in-service or medical retirement characterized on a DD-214 as Honorable with a V.A. disability rating of 30% or higher.
- If the candidate is legally blind, he or she must have attended and successfully completed a rehabilitation training program at one of the Department of Veterans Affairs Blind Rehabilitation Centers.
- If visually impaired, must be proficient in use of special aids or equipment for the blind or visually impaired. This includes correspondence and report writing capabilities.
- Proficiency in mobility and the ability to travel independently, if required.
- Ability to pass a background check.
Job Type: Full-time position working 37.5 hours per week.
Salary: $13.13 per hour plus benefits package
Hours: NVSO Resource Center staff must be willing to work a rotating schedule of day and evening shifts with occasional weekends.
To be considered for this position, please submit resume and cover letter by email to:
BVA Field Service Resource Center
Attention: Claudia Belk
Interim Director, Field Service Operations
125 N. West St, 3rd Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314
Blinded Veterans Association Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.