Blinded Veterans Association BVA Seeks National Field Service Officer
The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) is an organization of blinded veterans helping blinded veterans. Through our service programs, regional groups, resources, and advocacy before the legislative and executive branches of government, we hope to make life better for blinded veterans.
BVA is currently has an immediate opening for a full-time, National Field Service Officer (NFSO) located at the Field Service Program Resource Center in Alexandria, Virginia. Resume and cover letter must be received by March 31, 2017.
Acting under the general supervision of the National Director, Field Service Program, the NFSO is responsible to:
- Provide assistance to blind and visually impaired veterans.
- Inform veterans of available federal, state, and local benefits and programs.
- Act as a role model for the benefits of blind rehab training for blinded veterans and assist family members in realizing ways to cope with loss of sight and the value of rehabilitation.
- Work a rotating schedule of day and evening shifts with occasional weekends in the NFSO Resource Center.
- Complete NVLSP's Basic Training Course within one month of hire.
- Candidate must be a legally blind veteran.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field such as counseling, blind rehabilitation or social work is preferred. Education may be substituted with additional training or work in a closely related field that includes Veterans Benefits.
- Attendance and successful completion of a training program at a VA Blind Rehabilitation Center.
- Knowledge of the Veterans Affairs health care structure, benefits from VA for blinded veterans and federal, state, and local resources that serve blinded veterans and the visually impaired population.
- A working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; be proficient in use of special aids or equipment for the blind or visually impaired. This includes correspondence and report writing capabilities. The NFSO must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and proficiency in mobility.
- Must be able to articulate the needs of blinded veterans to a variety of stakeholders; work independently; advise blinded veterans and their families on the benefits and rights to which they are entitled the VA; work effectively with the public and all other BVA staff; represent BVA in public meetings; compile reports for the Field Service Program National Director; and utilize all available resources in obtaining benefits for blinded veterans.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
(1) Full-time position working 37.5 hours/week.
Salary: $17.94 /hour.
BVA and federal government background checks will be performed.
To be considered for this position, please submit resume and cover letter by email to:
BVA Field Service Resource Center
Attention: Mr. Edward Eckroth
National Director, Field Service Program
125 N. West Street, 3rd Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314
The Blinded Veterans Association Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.