An auxiliary to the Blinded Veterans Association may
be established, such to be known as the Blinded Veterans Association
Membership in the Auxiliary shall consist of families and friends of blinded veterans.
The Auxiliary shall adopt bylaws for its government
and control which shall not be effective unless or until approved by the
National Board of Directors.
The actions of the Auxiliary, to include publicity,
shall not conflict with the Bylaws of the Blinded Veterans Association
or with the policies and resolutions established by the Blinded Veterans
Association in Convention assembled or by the National Board of
The National Board of Directors may establish a
Building Fund for the purpose of constructing or purchasing a building
for the Association's National Headquarters.
The Building Fund shall be maintained separately from
other Association funds and kept in non-speculative, interest-bearing
investments or accounts, as designated by the National Board of
The principal and income of the Building Fund shall
be used only for expenses related directly to the purpose of the Fund.
AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS/PETITION TO U.S. CONGRESS
TO AMEND CHARTER
a. These Bylaws may be amended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the votes cast at any National Convention.
b. Proposed amendments to these Bylaws shall be submitted in writing to
the National Secretary at the National Headquarters (Attn:
Administrative Director) postmarked no later than ninety (90) days
before the National Convention.
(1) A copy of all such proposed amendments shall be made and
distributed to the Members and Associate Members no earlier than ninety
(90) days nor later than forty-five (45) days before the National
(2) Amendments of an emergency nature may be submitted on the
opening day of the National Convention with unanimous consent of the
Bylaws and Resolutions Committee.
c. No such amendment may change the basic charitable purposes of the Association as set forth in the Charter and these Bylaws.
These Bylaws may also be amended by the affirmative
vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the votes cast in mail referendum provided
that a majority of the Members and Associate Members has voted.
BVA is an organization whose Charter was granted by an Act of the U.S. Congress (72 Stat. 922 (August 27, 1958)). Section
18 of the Act specifically reserves to Congress the right to alter,
amend, or repeal subject Charter. A petition to the U.S. congress to alter or amend the BVA Charter may be submitted, and shall be processed, in accordance
with the procedures set forth in subparagraphs b and c of Section 1
a. Such petition may not be considered by mail referendum.
ASSETS UPON DISSOLUTION OR LIQUIDATION
Upon final dissolution or liquidation of the
corporation and after discharge or satisfaction of all outstanding
obligations and liabilities, the remaining assets of the corporation
shall be transferred to the Department of Veterans Affairs General Post
Fund to be applied to the care and comfort of blinded veterans.
"Roberts' Rules of Order, Newly Revised" shall govern this
Association in all cases to which they are applicable and not
inconsistent with these Bylaws.
Administrative footnote: This edition of the BVA National Bylaws
incorporates amendments approved by the following BVA National
Conventions on the respective dates indicated:
- 46th BVA National Convention, Reno, Nevada,
August 24, 1991;
- 47th BVA National Convention, Nashville,
August 15, 1992;
- 48th BVA National Convention, Tucson, Arizona,
August 14, 1993;
- 49th BVA National Convention, Cincinnati, Ohio,
August 27, 1994;
- 50th BVA National Convention, Arlington, Virginia,
August 26, 1995;
- 51st BVA National Convention, New Orleans,
Louisiana, August 17, 1996;
- 52nd BVA National Convention, Reno, Nevada,
August 23, 1997;
- 53rd BVA National Convention, Itasca, Illinois,
- 58th BVA National Convention, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, August 30, 2003;
- 59th BVA National Convention, Reno, Nevada,
August 14, 2004;
- 61st BVA National Convention, Buffalo, New York,
August 19, 2006;
- 63rd BVA National Convention, Phoenix, Arizona,
August 13, 2008 and
- 64th BVA National Convention, Portland, Oregon,
August 22, 2009;
- 65th BVA National Convention, Arlington, Virginia,
August 28, 2010
- 66th BVA National Convention, Las Vegas,
Nevada, August 20, 2011
- 67th BVA National Convention, Galveston, Texas,
August 23, 2012
- 69th BVA National Convention, Sparks, Nevada,